Reading My Way Around the World

Monday 28 April 2014

A Xylophone called Ethel

Misty Morning
My first real band was called Misty Morning - Nigel, Willie, Ivan and myself.  

We decided that we needed something to enhance the sound of two guitars, bass and sometimes piano. So one Saturday afternoon we headed into town to buy some percussion instruments.

Included in this treasure trove was a Xylophone.  

While we were down town a few pints were partaken of, and in a fit of hilarity we decided to name the new instruments!! The Xylophone was duly named Ethel.

Well!  We thought this was hilarious, as you would when you're 18 or 19!  
tha's me playing the xylophone on stage with Misty Morning
Poor Ethel only got used about twice or three times because we couldn't stop laughing every time we brought her out on stage.   Sadly the band met its demise when we moved on from university - good fun was had though.


This post is part of the 2014 A to Z blogging challenge 


10 comments:

  1. Love that the percussion item of choice was a xylophone...and that her name was Ethel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What nice memories you have. We were all a bit crazy at that age. It makes one smile to think back about some things we did.

    Sunni
    http://sunni-survivinglife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the Xs are bringing out the fun Sunni :)

      Delete
  3. Your post made me laugh out loud - I so want to go into school tomorrow and name all our xylophones and glockenspiels with slightly old fashioned names!!
    http://pempispalace.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha Let me know what names you give them :)

      Delete
    2. I can certainly picture our largest glockenspiel as a Humphrey, I think and maybe one of our xylophones might be a Gladys?

      Delete
    3. Ooh Humphrey is definitely a good one for a glock :D

      Delete
  4. Never heard of naming instruments, have heard of naming other weird things though.

    ReplyDelete

Do drop me a line ... I love to read your comments :)