Reading My Way Around the World

Friday 4 April 2014

D is for Dreams

This is D Day, Day 4 of the A to Z Blog Challenge.

I love dreams - I'm not always a great sleeper, but when I do, my dreams are like movies and a lot of them stay with me throughout the next day.    I keep hearing stories about songwriters who get a full song in a dream but unfortunately that has never happened to me.    However this is a song that I wrote from dreams I had back in 1994 in the middle of a tour in Germany and before the ceasefires here at home.

Click here to listen to Dreaming

Things were very bad in Northern Ireland at the time  .... Everytime Tom and I headed away on a tour we both had been feeling that we didn't want to go back again.   But at the same time while we were away I was incredibly homesick.


We were staying in a remote part of East Germany, by the side of a huge forest, where nobody spoke any English, and while I loved the place, I still couldn't settle.   Every morning I woke up feeling a compulsion to get back to Ireland as quickly as possible.

One night I dreamed a very vivid dream and our host suggested I write it down into a song ... The first 5 lines are exactly what I dreamt.

"I saw the devil, he was running after me
Past the Madonna who was happy just to be
In a room that was falling around her with thunder
That was coming from the floor not above as it should be
But when i turned around the door I'd just come running through was gone
And I awoke to find myself in the middle of this song
I'd been dreaming"

On the following two nights I had more dreams - I was very taken by the strength of the East German people who had stood up for themselves and brought about the collapse of the Wall.  We were doing Q&A workshops for school kids studying English and we couldn't answer all their questions about the workings of life here.

Then I saw the women from the Eastern world come walking
'cross the desert from their homeland in the search for something better
And my answers to their questions didn't measure to their strength
And someone murdered someone and the money'd all been spent
And the cause they'd all been working for got swallowed in the greed
And I thought about these women and their struggle to be free
While I'd been dreaming.

Chorus:
  Only dreaming, I'd been dreaming
  Dreaming, only dreaming
  And I thought about these women and their struggle to be free
  While I'd been dreaming.

After all - at home we were all just the same, worshipping different named Gods but otherwise the same.

Then I saw a building with three women in the scene
One threw a bomb and the second one she screamed
As she pulled through the broken body of her child from the chaos
To the third dressed in green in the uniform of order
And as I calmly watched I suddenly could see
That they all looked the same and they all looked like me
But I'd been dreaming

  Chorus:
  Only dreaming, I'd been dreaming
  Dreaming, only dreaming
  And as I calmly watched I suddenly could see
  That they all looked the same and they all looked like me
  But I'd been dreaming

I didn't feel we were able to speak out at home and was feeling the effects of living under the stress of constant fear for so many years.   

Well do you wonder what it means?
All these pictures in my dreams
All the yearning and the fears
And all the terror and the screams
Well I can still feel the devil round the corner of my memory
And he's waiting for a woman who won't stand up and be counted
And I'm sure there's others like me
Afraid to have their say
Simply sitting back and hoping that it all will be ok
But that's just dreaming.

  We're just dreaming, only dreaming
  Dreaming, only dreaming
  And I'm sure there's others like me
  Afraid to have their say
  Simply sitting back and hoping that it all will be ok

  But that's just dreaming.

We've been back to Germany many times since and I still love the country.  I've never been homesick again, but I've never had another song that came in a dream.

I hope you like the song .... I'd be very interested to hear your comments.  How have dreams affected your work?   Do you get any inspiration from them?   How do you remember them?

You can contact me on Facebook
or Twitter
Or visit my website for a listen to some of my other music and projects
You can sign up for my newsletter there - it goes out 3 or 4  times a year with news of new releases and tours.

12 comments:

  1. The song is lovely, and your travels sound interesting. Many of my dreams become favorite family recipes. I've dreamed up some strange combinations, let me tell you, and boy have they tasted good. The hard part is writing them down as I'm making them. Usually, I simply have to go in the kitchen and make things happen, then write it down after, because that's the only way to keep the dream alive, and make the dish correctly.

    MJ, A to Z Challenge Co-Host
    Writing Tips
    Effectively Human
    Lots of Crochet Stitches


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds brilliant MJ - I'd wake up starving if I dreamt about food lol I've been visiting your blog at Effectlvely Human - lovely writing ..

      Delete
  2. Greetings from Chicago, Illinois, USA! I love dreams. I don't often use them in my fiction, because they are etherial and eldritch, but I think their power is undeniable. I love the song you got from yours. Keep writing, traveling, and dreaming!

    This is A. Catherine Noon, visiting from the Noon and Wilder blog for the A-Z Challenge, #1554 on the list. Happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to meet you Catherine - thanks for dropping by :) That's a great word - eldritch ..
      Fil

      Delete
  3. Interesting that not only did you have an intense experience but your dreams were intense as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, very, Karen ... and it's true what they say, that if you write them down you'll remember them ... I still see the images as clear as day.
    Thanks for taking the time to drop by.
    Fil

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greetings from the Newry Road. Not a good sleeper either, so I'm enjoying catching up on your blog. Keep writing :) Schmalkalder Bratwurst..great representative for East Germany. :)
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sandra:) The best Bratwurst ever!

      Delete
  6. Wonderful! Didn't Shelley write Ozymandias after he awoke from a dream? Of course it was an opium dream so it was even stranger than normal :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must check that out ... the one I remember hearing about was Barry Manilow's Mandy ... came to him complete in a dream.

      Delete
  7. Those are fun to read, even just as stories. I love writing down my uber strange dreams and working them into stories. :)

    Random Musings from the KristenHead — D is for 'Defiance' (and Dogs)

    ReplyDelete

Do drop me a line ... I love to read your comments :)