Reading My Way Around the World

Saturday 5 April 2014

Emotions in Singing



Firstly here's my E song - Erin Grá Mo Chroí which means Erin (Ireland) Love of My Heart (from my CD A place of My Own).  


Singing Tips - Getting Emotion into your singing
There are two kinds of singer in my opinion - technical and emotional.   Heartfelt words of songs can bring us all back to a moment in time, a moment of intense joy or extreme sadness.

So the ability of the singer to bring emotion across is key in a good performance.   But how do you do that?

Many young singers believe that they have to put something onto the words in order to express them correctly but in fact all you have to do is mean what you say.

That's your job as a singer - sing the word with the same focus and concentration you have when you're talking to a friend.

For example, when you say the word rose, what comes into your mind?   What colour is the rose?  Is it open or just a bud?  Is it in a vase or on a bush?  etc etc … All that information will be instantly in your mind when you say the word so do the same when you sing the word …. your concentration, if it is totally on what you're saying will bring those same expressions and emotions into play.   And that in turn will allow the audience to see their own images and experience their own emotions.


If you are thinking about the shopping list, or what you're wearing, or worrying about what people think of you while you're performing, then you're not concentrating on the words.   Try changing your focus and you'll find that all your nerves disappear and any of the problems you're having with your voice will start to vanish.

You can contact me on Facebook 
or on Twitter
Or sign up for my newsletter here ...
Videos are on YouTube

5 comments:

  1. What words of wisdom you write. I will be passing on this valuable insight when I next teach an emotional song to my class - talking through the words and what they mean for each child should help them bring out the true feeling the song intended. So glad I found you through the A to Z challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH thank you so much for your kind words :)

      Delete
  2. That sounds like great advice. I think anyone who has stage fright could overcome it by focusing on putting passion into the performance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure Stephanie - thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  3. I love this post. I can't sing at all, but I can say that this is so true based on the fact that I don't even like music that doesn't grab me emotionally. I'm not a very auditory person in the first place, but I'm highly kinesthetic... I can't even learn the lyrics without some emotions to hang on to. :)

    Random Musings from the KristenHead — E is for 'Elementary' (and Elephants)

    ReplyDelete

Do drop me a line ... I love to read your comments :)