Reading My Way Around the World

Friday 25 April 2014

Van the Man!

Well, what is there to say!  Here we are with only a few more days to go … and with my profession as a singer, I had thought about V being a blog about Vocals or Voices … obvious ….


But then I was listening to a live album from Van Morrison recorded at Austin City Limits Festival a few years ago  …. and I thought V! Perfect!



Van the Man as he's known here.
Belfast's greatest music export!
Notorious for walking off the stage if the audience are too noisy!
Uses almost all local musicians in his touring band.
Famous for Brown Eyed Girl ( I know her ... the girl it was based on),
And what about Gloria and Moondance.

I once saw him at our local blues festival playing in a 200 seater hall - Van approached the organiser and asked to play  - his full 10 piece band including Hammond organ and 3 backing vocalists crammed onto the stage where we've put on workshops and the local pantomime happens every year!   And it was the best gig I've ever been to.   I hadn't been much of a fan of his until this but afterwards he just had me hooked.

Have a wee singalong while you're reading all your other blogs today.



What's been your favourite live concert?
Is there one artist in the world that you'd absolutely love to see?

7 comments:

  1. I have been to very few live concerts. Akon's was my favourite.
    Do visit Delhi, India - in your Head, or in real.
    Nice Post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know THE brown eyed girl?!?! How cool! Not sure which concert has been my favorite...maybe Dave Matthew's back before his fans tried to take over the world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to have seen Frank Sinatra and also Luciano Pavarotti. I did see Sammy Davis once in Toronto, he is hubby's favourite - such a clever man. Can't think of anyone today I would want to see. Again, hubby would like to see Barbra Streisand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Fil,
    Thanks for your lovely comments, and for following. I've followed you back!
    Like Andrea, I can't believe you know THE brown eyed girl. I'm a big Van Morrison fan and would love to see him in concert. I'm also a new Rush convert thanks to Alex J. Cavanaugh, so seeing them would be great.
    My favorite concerts have been the Bruce Springsteen shows I've seen. He puts on an amazing show!
    Do visit Sweden!
    Tina @ Life is Good
    A to Z Team @ Blogging From A to Z April Challenge 2014

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Fil! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!! My fave concerts in the world were every Grateful Dead and Jerry Garcia Band show I ever went to. I am a Deadhead and I miss them very much. Best time of my life. I'd still love to see Billy Joel, Elton, Wayne Newton...maybe Paul McCartney...but overall my concert going days are over. The crowds get to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hubby really likes him, I'm not a huge fan; but how cool you knew the girl he wrote the song about.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hubby really likes him, I'm not a huge fan; but how cool you knew the girl he wrote the song about.

    ReplyDelete

Do drop me a line ... I love to read your comments :)