Reading My Way Around the World

Friday 19 December 2014

Send A Cow

While dosed with a bad cold recently, I got time to wander around the wibbly web a bit - catch up on reading some of the blogs I follow, daydream about new sofas and curtains, and just generally have a nosey around.

And above all drool over knitting patterns and ideas.

And then I came across this image...  and I thought the meaning behind it was worth passing on.

This is Gloria, the 'Send a Cow charity' mascot, sporting a very chic jumper to highlight the charity's new Christmas gifts catalogue.

This is a charity that was set up by farmers in the West Country in England, who raise money to bring cattle to small villages in seven different countries in Africa, as well as helping with sanitation and various other necessities that those countries need.
In their own words:
Send a Cow’s Christmas catalogue contains gifts that make a difference to poverty-stricken families in seven African countries. Gifts range from ‘Local Cow’ (£205), which provides a farming family with milk and manure; ‘Little Donkey’ (£9) which helps families take good care of their four-legged friends who transport farm produce to market; and ‘Tip Tap’ (£10), a bestseller which improves hygiene levels in areas where soap and water are luxuries.

Simon Barnes, CEO of Send a Cow said; “This year we’ve taken the idea of the quirky Christmas jumper one step further, to encourage people to think differently about the gifts they buy this Christmas. Instead of buying chocolate for a friend, why not buy something unusual - for as little as £5 you will greatly improve the lives of poverty-stricken families in Africa. This is our 13th year of the Christmas catalogue and over the years we’ve raised over eight million pounds to help poor families. We really hope that you will support us this year by buying a gift, to help us change even more lives this Christmas and beyond.”

Send a Cow’s Christmas catalogue is available in print and online – for more information go to www.sendacowgifts.org.uk or call 01225 874222.


At our last choir gathering of the year, one of our members was sporting a fabulous Christmas jumper..   she comes from Australia, so she's forgiven, especially when the bells attached to it could very tastefully be used for percussion while we were singing the gorgeous Yorkshire carol Sweet Bells.   Go Belinda!!!  :)

7 comments:

  1. What a worthy cause, and kudos to Gloria for being such a stylish model. But who wouldn't look good in a sweater with cows and chickens and carrots on it? I love the tale of your choir star, although I'm pretty sure you meant to call her Bell-inda. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha Deborah .... I'll tell her that next time I see her :)

      Delete
  2. It's a wonderful idea that I have also seen here in the United States. Not something as big as a cow, but goats, lots of goats to help the people sustain themselves. P.S. I read your last post, but couldn't leave a comment. Don't know what was wrong, but just wanted you to know I was here. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of goat ones here in Ireland too Inger but I just loved this jumper :) Thanks for coming past ... I've been finding lots of problems commenting on people's pages too. Merry Christmas to you :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Fil .. am listening to your CD, and have done often! It's delightful .. I'll get to do something about it sometime soon I hope!

    Great photo and idea ... I'll check out the website - though I've really done my purchases this year ..

    So pleased the choir has been so much fun .. and a jumper with bells on .. fun .. cheers and have a very happy Christmas - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so pleased you like it Hilary :) And you don't need to do anything with it.
      I like Deborah's suggestions to call my choir lady Bell - linda hahahaha

      Delete
  4. What a great cause this is, and how much difference a cow like this would make in some of these poverty ridden places.

    ReplyDelete

Do drop me a line ... I love to read your comments :)