Reading My Way Around the World

Friday 21 August 2015

A few days off.

G

I've forgotten the connector for my camera to computer so I can't upload any of the pics I'm taking these days of the spectacular Antrim Coast - but they'll be on the way be warned :). So these are from my phone 

This is one of the areas of Ireland that I know least well - it was too far away from us over on the West Coast to come for day trips during Summer holidays and my father was never one for taking us away on holidays - the cattle and the hay field took precedence.  so it's a joy seeing this amazing coastline which is so ancient.  

We came away to get a few days concentrating on writing and rehearsals - staying in a lovely hostel right up on the Antrim plateau.

At this part of Northern Ireland we are just 13 miles from Scotland - close enough for Finn McCool to have thrown a stone at the Scottish giant  and form the Giant's Causeway :)


It's 17 years since we were last here.  On that occasion there were only a couple of other cars in the car park and acres of wild open space to be virtually alone in.  Yesterday was very different- thousands of people from all over the world - many from Asia and America, all the European languages and many from these islands.  Wonderful to see - wonderful the changes those years have brought and that people are no longer afraid to come to our little corner of the world.  


   We finished the day with a smashing session at the hostel we're staying in.  Hosted by the storyteller Liz Weir and with visitors from Spain, Italy, France, Germany and the U.S. there were songs, dances, stories, poems, tunes and lots of chat.  

Holidays are good😀✔️.  I want more lol. 




6 comments:

  1. Your header photo makes up for those missing. And I so love a rugged coast. Looks like you are having a great time. A woman from here in our canyon just came back from a trip to Ireland, where she found some of her family's roots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, love those photos of those massive stones!!! I'm glad youve had a break!x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Fil - sounds like a wonderful time. The phone photos are fabulous. I can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Fil - sounds delightful ... and I love the tree arch photo - amazing. I'd love to see the Giant's Causeway sometime ... and yes isn't it interesting how many people travel now - than 'our old days'!! I hadn't realised Scotland was only 13 miles over the sea - less distance than the Channel - yet ours has to be easier to deal with .. chalk v granite!

    Glad you had that break, but were able to do some work as well .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great time, I am sure! I love to know more about your memories,and how you spent time there, as a child - I mean, in the west coast. The Antrim Coast is a place, like signs say, of exceptional beauty and I am glad you were there! I am now looking forward to more pictures, cause I really love your stories, thoughts and pictures!
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like a fantastic trip. That first photo is particularly magical. xxx

    ReplyDelete

Do drop me a line ... I love to read your comments :)