Reading My Way Around the World

Monday 22 August 2016

Celtic Tree Astrology

A couple of months ago, I was visiting the June Photo Scavenger Hunt page run by Hawthorn Spellweaver ( love that name ) at I Live, I love, I craft, I am me - and she mentioned that she had taken her name from her Celtic Tree Sign, the hawthorn.   Ooh how intriguing.

So off I went in search and this is what came up ... a really interesting page about Tree Lore from the Druidic practices.

My birthday is September 27 and my tree is Vine.   It makes interesting reading - much of it is very similar to what you'd read about Libra, my astrological sign - always striving for the balance and never being able to choose - the story of my life!

Vine - The Equaliser September 2 - September 29  Vine signs are born within the autumnal equinox, which makes your personality changeable and unpredictable. You can be full of contradictions, and are often indecisive. But this is because you can see both sides of the story, and empathize with each equally. It is hard for you to pick sides because you can see the good points on each end. There are, however, areas in your life that you are quite sure about. These include the finer things of life like food, wine, music, and art. You have very distinctive taste, and are a connoisseur of refinement. Luxury agrees with you, and under good conditions you have a Midas touch for turning drab into dramatic beauty. You are charming, elegant, and maintain a level of class that wins you esteem from a large fan base. Indeed, you often find yourself in public places where others can admire your classic style and poise. Vine signs pair well with Willow and Hazel signs.


When I looked closer into Vine and its symbolism, it says that it would be the blackberry vine rather than the grapevine that the Celts would have read.   Now I am in a perpetual battle with blackberry vines here in this garden - they grow like weeds.   But reading that from an astrological point of view, means that they are opportunistic, or in a more modern way of saying it, they go with the flow.  I'll try to remember that next time I'm out at the clothes line and a bramble is attacking me :)   

The druids classified anything with a woody stalk as a tree, and so therefore vines are listed among the sacred Ogham ranks.  They also recognised the vine's predominant growth formation is in the shape of a spiral. This has long been considered a sacred symbol for Consciousness, Development, Renewal and Growth

I love reading about the symbolism of trees and plants.   This area has a very ancient energy and fairy lore and mythological references are in everyday usage.  So thank you to Hawthorn Spellweaver for leading me to this lovely store of reference. 

Have you had time to check yours out?  What Celtic sign are you?  do you pay any attention to Astrological or Mythological lore?  I'd love to hear your thoughts.   





2 comments:

  1. Oh, I love Celtic things, dear Fil! I knew the Celtic tree astrology, will use it again and will quote you, of course! So, I am Rowan (...) often misunderstood :) That is what the site says :) But look at this! "Rowan pairs well with Ivy and Hawthorn signs" - yeah! Indecisive? So we are 'sisters"! I am decisive for some things, and soooo much for other things - normally the most important ones. I wish I had more "courage" sometimes! Hope you have a very nice week!
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Fil - I am a Capricorn ... and thus a Birch Tree - who enjoys the company of Vines and Willows (observers ... probably true too!) ...

    What an interesting site ... and fun post - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

Do drop me a line ... I love to read your comments :)