Reading My Way Around the World

Friday 21 December 2018

Solstice Blessings

On this beautiful mid winter's day in Ireland, all is calm and quite bright.

The sun hasn't really made an appearance (it's lunchtime now) and there's no hint of blue skies, but I love that blanket of low cloud hanging over the Cooley Mountains.  And in another couple of days the light will start to grow again (someone said that the Solstice light doesn't change until the 26th).


I love this time of year.  Even getting one day to be quiet and potter around a bit on my own is a blessing.   I've chased Tom and I'm supposed to be tidying the house and getting organised for the coming onslaught of visitors - we're going to have a busy holiday this year - but instead the camera drew my attention.

There's still a bit of colour in the garden ...
A single hydrangea hanging on to its colour
...and new growth is already showing
Crocuses showing their heads
There's even blooms on the castor oil tree.
A lovely walk around.   Time to get back in and do a bit of that tidying up!   

I've always thought of this as mid winter, although astrologically it starts today and meteorologically on 1st December - how confusing!   Whichever .... or if you're celebrating the summer solstice, I hope you're enjoying the run up to Christmas if you celebrate it.  








5 comments:

  1. Winter Solstice Blessings to you, may 2019 be gentle and peaceful and full of song!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Solstice blessings to you as well. It is supposed to be summer here, but I'm sure the weather gods are playing games with us this year. I'm in a long sleeved top this morning as it is hovering around the 16 deg mark at 10am & the skies have been basically grey for the last 3 months. Although I don't enjoy extreme heat, I do love a clear blue sky & some warmth from the sun. The weather here in Oz has been on the rather extreme side of late. Hope you have a lovely Christmas, enjoying your visitors. Ours will be quiet at DD's with just 6 of us. Take care & huggles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like we've been having the same skies Susan - I don't enjoy those grey overcast days at all.
      Have a lovely holiday and I look forward to following your adventures through the coming year.

      Delete
  3. Winter solstice blessings to you to.
    Have a wonderful Christmastime.

    ReplyDelete

Do drop me a line ... I love to read your comments :)