Reading My Way Around the World

Tuesday 9 July 2019

A quick trip to West Cork and a great idea


Gosh I'm so far behind with posting photos and coming by to say hello.   Every time I think I've something ready, something else needs doing .... aargh ... but I'll catch up.   I will, I will, I WILL :)
So to recover we ran away for a few days to West Cork.  And got a heatwave for our trouble.   
PURE BLISS.


We did a couple of songs with the fabulous John Spillane (the essence of West Cork someone called him) in the wonderful de Barra's Folk Club which was our reason for being down that far south (it's about a 5 hour drive from here) - so to capitalise on it we decided to take our caravan (adding another couple of hours to the drive) and have a wee break which was worth it.   







We've played in de Barra's several times, but maybe 25 years ago - we were wondering if one of our posters might be at the bottom of this pile we spotted on the wall!













As a bonus we hit upon the annual Old Time Fair and Brass Band Competition on Saturday  - a really joyful day of swing music, old trades, everyone in great form and the shops doing flying business.


Clonakilty is a beautiful town at the best of times, with loads of boutiques, great places to eat, excellent music and lovely pubs - it's about 40 minutes west of Cork city and well worth a visit if you're ever around those parts.

Here's a blast of the wonderfully fun (and pink) Ambling Band from Bristol who treated us to a splendid round of well known songs and got the whole crowd joining in the Can Can.   And they lead the final parade of vintage cars and steam engines in the evening.  If you're ever needing a band to add a bit of fun to your festival these guys are the business.




And the wonderful idea?  
I spotted this sign in a cafe and I'm sure there are uses for it everywhere ... 
The photo's a bit blurry but it says


A Brilliant Idea.





RECYCLED MUGS
TO TAKE AWAY
Reduce Use of Paper Cups
If possible please return
DROP OFF YOUR UNUSED MUGS HERE.














We're getting ready for Fiddlers Green Festival now, coming up in under 2 weeks - a couple of gigs for us and for Singmarra and Tom's book launch - and also preparing for a tour of the Emigrant Woman's Tale over the Winter - so lots going on.

Hopefully I'll see you again before too long.
In the meantime, I hope you're enjoying your summer (or Winter, Susan :) ) .

8 comments:

  1. Ever so glad you had an enjoyable break & lots of fun & music too. What a clever idea about the mugs. Just realised I got a mention as I typed this......, as I was about to say, you seem to be having some warmth this summer. A cold, gloomy, wet week coming up for us in Victoria. Take care & huggles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck Tom with the book launch.
    The pink band were great.
    Sounds a busy time, but plenty of fun and sun too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, this sounds really fun!!! I am glad you were rewarded with beautiful weather! The mug idea is super! I hope people take them up on it!
    The pink band video is great! They look like they've having so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Fil - sorry and you've now been and participated in your Fiddlers Green Festival ... it sounds like a delightful place to give performances in ... looks amazing and I think you've triggered a memory from 50 years ago! Such is life ... Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Fil and Tom - then I forgot to credit you on the post (now done) ...life is running away at the moment - not as busy as you ... but feel like it! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great get away. We went to Cork, would love to have spent more time there on our tour. LOVE the mug idea! I too am playing catch up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Popping round again to say hi, as I make my blog rounds. Hope things are going well for you.

    ReplyDelete

Do drop me a line ... I love to read your comments :)