Reading My Way Around the World

Friday 12 July 2013

Spiced Granola

I found this lovely recipe for a spicy granola adapted from Good Housekeeping

Wonderful sprinkled over yoghurt, or as a breakfast cereal.


Makes about 1 3/4 lbs

Preheat oven to 160°C (140°C fan), mark 4.

In a large bowl, mix together
1lb rolled oats (I use jumbo oats)
3 oz nuts roughly chopped (or any other nuts available)
3 oz pumpkin seeds (today I used a mix of pumpkin, sunflower and sesame seeds)
3 1/2 oz dried fruit
1 tbsp ground cinnamon

In a separate pan, heat gently for about 30 sec, until very liquid
4 oz runny honey
2 fl oz vegetable oil

Stir in
Finely grated zest of 1 orange
1 tbsp vanilla extract

Pour over the oat mixture and mix thoroughly.

Divide the mixture between two large baking trays and spread out evenly.   Bake for 20-30 minutes, stirring once, until golden and toasted.   Leave to cool completely before bagging or storing in an airtight container for up to 3 months (if it lasts that long!  - In our house it lasts about a week).

I use whatever fruit, nuts and seeds that I have available and sometimes mix it with shop bought granola to stretch it out a bit.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Do drop me a line ... I love to read your comments :)