Reading My Way Around the World

Friday 29 September 2017

Knitting the border together #WATWB


I am joining in today with the We Are The World Blogfest - a monthly burst of blogging across the Internet to bring Positive News to everyone's attention.  
In Darkness, Be Light.  

This is the seventh month of the We Are the World Blogfest and up till now many of my stories have been music based.   But this month I'm shifting the focus to Art.  
I saw this lovely story last month about an art installation that happened in August - I thought you would enjoy it.    

Soften the Border was a temporary art installation in August on the Irish border between Blacklion and Belcoo - literally knitting the border together - I wish I'd seen it.  

The Belfast based artist, Rita Duffy explains:    
"As the world lurches further into fragmented and polarised realities, I feel that we are ever more dependent upon Art to keep lines of communication open and to create environments in which silenced communities are empowered to change the narratives of conflict and loss which may have dominated their lives." 




The cohosts for this month are: 



Check out theirs and other stories on the Facebook thread here

15 comments:

  1. Hi Fil - what a great way of drawing attention to something that desperately needs to be resolved. Yes - I'd have wanted to see it too ... but love the idea and am so pleased I know about it ... thanks for letting us know - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neat idea. No matter our differences, we'll always manage to find something in common.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is cool, Fil, and welcome in an age when border regions seem to be getting more divisive instead of inclusive. Thanks for telling us about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's to a diverse world without borders.

    Damyanti

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's an impressive and a very creative initiative!! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A wonderful initiative. Thanks for sharing this good news story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea about sharing and lifting positive blog posts. And this was the ideal story to share. Thanks Fil

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved the idea, dear Fil! It's so good to have something positive around, when we normally have dark news most of the time! I loved the story and I also wish I were there! Hope you have a beautiful weekend, dear friend!
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is brilliant, definitely spins a different light! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely love this Fil - what a beautiful expression honoring diversity and unity!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A brilliant, unifying idea! Thank you so much for sharing this and for being part of #WATWB!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a wonderful idea! I like it when art tries to bridge community and social initiatives!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fil, This weaving across the threshold of the border is really touching for me. Good for these wonderful women. I love the "Art Work" sign too. Did I see it was in Cavan? We think some of my mother's O'Reilly ancestors may have been there prior to coming to Australia generations ago. If so, that makes this stitch across the border even part of our family fabric. This story and place just gets into the bones. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. An eye-opener for sure. Thank you for sharing the initiative, the pictures, and for being a part of #WATWB

    ReplyDelete

Do drop me a line ... I love to read your comments :)