Reading My Way Around the World

Tuesday 10 October 2017

On this day in history Oct 10

Edith Piaf died on this day in 1963.  She was only 47.  Piaf, the little sparrow, was a wonder and there are many fabulous singers still singing her songs.

Her funeral was the only occasion after World War II that Parisian traffic came to a complete standstill.  There were so many people at the event that allegedly several mourners fell into the open grave.  More than 40,000 saw her interred.  

I wonder what would stop the traffic nowadays.  

I'd like to introduce you to a colleague of mine who sings on the UK folk scene.   She is French and her name is Flossie Malaiavalle.   I'm honoured that she chose to record one of my songs - I Still Think of You.   When she appeared at our folk club recently I had the chance to finally meet up with her.  

Flossie sings many contemporary singers' songs, but also does a show of Piaf songs, so here is her version of La Vie en Rose.  



8 comments:

  1. Hi Fil - what a beautiful tribute ... I didn't realise the aspects of Piaf's life - her car crashes etc ... sad one too ... but Flossie Malavialle does Piaf justice ... lovely rendition - thanks for highlighting Flossie ... wonderful you were able to meet her - and how excellent she's using one of your songs ... cheers - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're delighted to bring some of our folk club colleagues over here Hilary - she's great fun as a performer - she tours around the English folk clubs all year - watch out for her. I'm chuffed to say that she's recorded a second one of my songs on this new album of hers too :)

      Delete
  2. I must say I was not familiar with Flossie, but am grateful you posted this. Beautifully done. I've been MIA from blogging for way to long and am now getting back into.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome back Sandy - I've been very slow at it myself - doing more reading than writing these past months.

      Delete
  3. Flossiehas a great voice, dear Fil, I am also happy that she recorded one of your songs! I would love to hear her version! Yes, Piaf was so beloved, I didn't know these facts about her. What would stop traffic these days? A meteor falling on earth :) Hope you have a sweet day, dear Fil, loved yous post!
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! What would stop traffic these days Denise - we've become so blasé ... The song Flossie recorded was I Still Think of You and I think you can hear her version of it on her website.. the link is in the post. Her new album has Touch of Your Hand which is a song I co-wrote with a friend from Cork.

      Delete
  4. What a delightful introduction to Flossie, and how lovely she's recorded one of your songs. It's great you got a chance to meet up with her.

    That Piaf photo is extraordinary - what an amazing tribute for such a gifted spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Flossie has a lovely voice! And how lovely that you and she have connected through your song!
    I love to think of a musician being the cause of a traffic jam! I always love sharing the fact that the fireworks that G.F Handel wrote 'Music for the Royal Fireworks' for caused the first ever traffic jam in London!xx

    ReplyDelete

Do drop me a line ... I love to read your comments :)