Reading My Way Around the World

Friday 29 March 2019

March in Photos

I have been really bad at blogging this past while - too many distractions I think - with the constant news and rumours and maybes and uncertainties it's hard to focus on anything.

So it's with delight I started hunting for photos for this month's scavenger hunt - a photo inspired by a word - organised by Kate at I Live, I Love, I Craft, I am Me  I love checking in on everyone else's photos and having a wee photo trip around the world.

Flat

The weather has been beautiful over the past week or so, albeit still very cold, and after an appointment I went for a stroll along the sea front in Newcastle - Co. Down.   This is my favourite place for an afternoon out - lovely coffee shops, nice boutiques, great public art and sculptures and the endless expanse of the Irish Sea which was very FLAT calm.  



Wheel

It took a while to find something for this -  I spotted an abandoned tyre on the beach in Newcastle - not very picture squeue but ... and then I thought of the bodhran (pronounced bow ron), the Irish drum that Tom plays.   Originally made from an old metal sieve which was covered with a goat skin, now the circle is wood, but the skin is still goat.


and this wee lad joined in for some of the songs at the session we ran on St Patrick's Day



Swing

I've shown this photo before here on the blog but it fascinated me and I went out most days to check on progress while we were in Denmark.    The swing of the man and woman to indicate whichever way the wind was blowing was like watching the birds ... and they'd work harder swinging the axe and saw the stronger the wind blew.





Ragged

This mountain is part of a pair - the Cock and Hen - I think this one's the Cock because of the comb on his head .... I loved the ragged tops of the mountains and the way the walls pull everything into a sense of order






Pot

Some crocuses in one of my pots a while back ... I've been collecting these ceramic mushrooms which make a lovely tinkling noise in the rain and wind.



My own choice

Back to Denmark for this one .... while we had an amazing run of concerts, a very special event will be my main memory of this trip .... In one of my earlier photos of the horses, the young woman leading the horses was looking a bit padded shall we say ... well she gave birth two days later and we got to meet the first grandchild of the house in its first hours in the world.   Wow!   She is so beautiful.   As any of you who read my blog regularly know, we don't have children, and I've never felt any loss or overwhelming desire and of course it's too late to do anything about that now... But seeing this little bundle sparked something in me which I hadn't experienced before.  I wish her so much luck and love and hope that this world will be kind to her - she certainly has a wonderful family around her.


Well that's it from me for this month - hopefully I'll be a bit more organised and regular with my posts in the coming months, but at least this monthly check in gives me a chance to say hello.
Head over to Kate's blog to check out some of the other photo entries and perhaps you fancy joining in yourself.   

26 comments:

  1. What lovely photos and stories - each one, I thought - oh this is my favourite, then I'd read the next - no this is my fav - then it would happen again at the next photo!
    Nice one Fil - thank you for sharing :D xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Kate - I really enjoy this challenge - thanks for running it :)

      Delete
  2. I'm a little overwhelmed with your photos & captions & like Kate each one made a deep impression, especially the last with you holding that tiny baby. I've not been the best on the blogging front this year so far & I'll try harder too. Thanks for sharing, have a lovely weekend & take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too Susan - it is hard to find the time - some people seem to be really good at doing lots of blogs - I think about them, half write them and then by the time I get back to it the story is over and it's too late to publish - ah well, we're both doing as much as we can at the minute :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Fil - gorgeous run of prompts with photos - excellent young lad getting his musical talents fulfilled early on ... while the littlie looks delightful and you look over the moon holding her. Way too many hoops going on around us at the moment - but you've given us a place of calm ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary - yes, I definitely need some calm x

      Delete
  4. Great photos Fil, I love the flat calm of the sea and the colour of the crocuses but that tiny little bundle you're holding is just so absolutely gorgeous - I hope she has a nice life surrounded by lots of love :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eunice - she is definitely coming in to a safe place :)

      Delete
  5. Clever you with the interpretations of the words. Lovely stories as usual and the little lad taking part is great! Got to get the young ones interested in all sorts of things that we 'older' ones cherish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The traditional music scene is terrific for young ones here - they get classes every week and follow up in school as well.

      Delete
  6. I think I would quite like a tinkling pot mushroom for my flower bed.Very cute. And ragged tops of mountains is a great description. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mushrooms are lovely - I found a few more after that photo was taken.
      I can't comment on your page Shazza for some reason - but I loved your photos.

      Delete
  7. I too could not decide on a favourite, each one was wonderful. The tinkling pot mushroom must sound lovely and I could just imagine the little man and woman going working like crazy in the wind, make me think of those 'in and out' people according to the weather on cuckoo clocks. But the last one and the accompanying words is beautiful. I think I have found my favourite. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jak - the continentals are great at having garden ornaments, but I find them harder to find over here.

      Delete
  8. Nice to see a post from you! What a lovely baby and mother! I love your calm Irish sea picture from the Newcastle trip (you confused me at first- didn't know there was a Newcastle in Ireland!) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I've been very bad at keeping up my blogging - you put us all to shame :) There are several Newcastles here I think

      Delete
  9. All wonderful pictures and descriptions, but I think I like the last one with you and the sweet baby the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Astrid - great to meet you here - your pics had me grinning! :)

      Delete
  10. Beautiful pictures, Fil. The stupendous landscapes give a breath of fresh air! The Danish weather vane is very cute. Best wishes to you and also to the lovely baby and her mother! Sandrine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci Sandrine - it's a pity the winter has come back again though lol

      Delete
  11. The water does look calm and tranquil, beautiful.
    A new life ... that's got to be my favourite this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie - the sea is an endless source of fascination to me

      Delete
  12. How wonderful all your photos are. The sea looks so calm and the mountains are beautiful:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's always a delight seeing your photos Fil, and your commentary pulls me deeply. The calm sea photo is especially intriguing to me. I always tend to think of Irish waters in terms of a very rough and wildly scary crossing I had once to Clare Island.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the idea of getting the photos to match. So glad you had a good time in Denmark. I'm email corresponding with a Danish woman I knew back in Princeton in in 1970 -71. We have been friends since then.

    ReplyDelete

Do drop me a line ... I love to read your comments :)