Reading My Way Around the World

Monday 23 October 2017

Bake Bread for Peace #WATWB


24th October each year is designated Bake Bread for Peace Day by a wonderful Donegal woman called Breezy Kelly.   I wrote about her initiative here a couple of years back.   She started going around houses baking bread and singing songs, telling stories about the old days, bringing people back to a gentler time - with the idea that when hands are in a bowl of flour they can't be out fighting.  Even on a simpler level, by gathering people around the table to have a cup of tea and some lovely fresh scones or hot buttered treacle bread and telling yarns, community is being held together.

Here's a more recent video of Breezy - if you're on Facebook, follow her page - she puts up recipes for different breads and is good fun to watch.



And if you can, share some bread with someone, home baked if possible and spread the peace.

This post has been edited to share with the We Are The World monthly Blogfest, spreading positive news stories.
Co-hosts for the thread this month are: Shilpa GargSylvia McGrathMary Giese, Belinda Witzenhausen and Guilie Castillo . 

Follow along with  other stories from around the world at the Facebook link.  


10 comments:

  1. Hi Fil - I don't usually eat bread ... but have had some in the last two days - I'll remember tomorrow about Bread for Peace day ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the idea, dear Fil... and for peace, every little step is important... on a "selfish" note, I love scones... and miss them very much! Would love to take part of this initiative! I hope you have a nice day, dear friend! Hugs!
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Breezy sounds like a wonderful woman! I liked her Facebook page and look forward to learning to make scones from her. Thanks, Fil, for sharing this great story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I missed October 24th Fil but this is so lovely! Baking Bread for Peace. Maybe we can remember this each time when we bake bread .. and then we break bread with our community ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. October 24th is our second son's birthday. He would LOVE to know he shares the day with fresh bread. I've followed Breezy's facebook page and am looking forward to learning more about her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fabulous idea! Wouldn't it be awesome if this idea spread to everywhere where people are fighting, where there's civil unrest? Yes, I can perfectly see how this would communities together, how it revives the sense of brotherhood and family, how it renews faith that we, all of us, are much more alike than we are different. Beautiful story, Fil—thank you for sharing it! And thank you, too, for being a part of the #WATWB. Happy Sunday!
    Guilie @ Quiet Laughter (October co-host)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great way to bring people together! Love this story! Thank you so much for sharing this and being part of #WATWB :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how I love this Fil - it's just my cup of tea, or perhaps slice of bread! And while I'll need to have a makeup day of Bake Bread for Peace this year since I missed the actual date, I'll certainly celebrate it on the correct day next year. Thanks for introducing me to this fabulous initative.

    ReplyDelete
  9. May more people share bread and tea and have, as you said, “a more gentler time.”

    ReplyDelete

Do drop me a line ... I love to read your comments :)