Reading My Way Around the World

Friday 28 February 2020

February 2020 in photos

It feels like February has been spent entirely on the computer, doing publicity for one show or another and getting stuff ready for the various internet spaces.   

So I really enjoyed taking an hour out today in the unexpected sunshine to take a few pics and think about this month's clues for  Hawthorn's aka Kate's Scavenger Hunt - it really is a great way of slowing the month down for a moment and taking stock.

It has been such a stormy month - each weekend seems to blow harder than the one before - and there's another storm on the way today ... but I am so grateful that we haven't had the same problems as our neighbours over in England .... I just couldn't bear that flooding ... I hope you all are safe and dry enough.

So this month's words ....

Heart/s

We've never been into Valentine's Day here - 33 years I'm waiting for a card!!!  But then he hasn't received one either lol - too stingy to pay for a card - plus it's close to our anniversary and if we manage to remember that we sort of combine the two.

I spotted this lovely heart shaped stone on the beach ages ago and thought it might fit the bill for today.  


The beach is a total mess at the minute after all the storms - and the mussel boats along here cut the seaweed as they go which then all lands up in an icky mess ... this is just one part of it ... all of that used to be grass.  Once these storms pass we'll get a crew together for a beach clean up day.


Repair

The Nissan Hut at the bottom of our lane lost even more of its roof during storm Dennis, or was it Ciara?  - it really is on its last legs and the guy who owns it keeps trying to nurse it along rather than abandoning it.   It came from the German POW camp in Rostrevor when it was dismantled after the war - one of the last still surviving.  I've been in for a nosey and unearthed lots of interesting stuff.



Tail

That'll have to be Red the squirrel....
The sun came out for a short burst one day last week in the middle of the pouring rain and who ambled in!  I managed to get out the back door without disturbing him - isn't that tail just fabulous!  He looks like he has a mohican haircut ... and he certainly didn't go hungry this winter!




Key 

Take your pick! 

You know my other half is a percussionist ... at some point in a recording they were looking for a jingly sound and the 'keys' were brought out!  And they've been added to down through the years - even at gigs, people would give us spare keys to add to the chain ... Mostly now it just hangs up in the music room/studio collecting dust 




















Knot


The trees are still all bare and showing their beautiful barks with all their knotty details.   I love the shape of trees at this time of year.  


My own choice

Meet Bob the wounded crow - this is a terrible photo - I can't get close enough to him ... he's been hobbling around the garden for the past month or more - looks like he has a broken wing - probably in the storm.  He stands under the feeder waiting for the wee birds to drop something for him and of course he's getting fed scraps.   It's really funny watching him eyeing up the feeder, head cocked, one eye focussed.   But I'd love to be able to help him fly again - usually crows aren't my favourite birds, but he's not annoying the other ones and the squirrel doesn't quite know what to make of him.  We've still been pondering getting another cat, but the wildlife is so good around here we'd miss all the drama if a furry beast was chasing them.  


So I'm off now to have a look around everyone else's photos for this months' words.  Thank you Kate for keeping this going.  

10 comments:

  1. Good stories and photos; we don't celebrate Valentine's Day etc etc but one year on Feb 14 we were visiting my sister who lives on the Solway Firth. She and I went for a walk and I found a heart-shaped stone. I let her have it so she could present it to her partner. My Beloved would not have appreciated it! I do like your rope of keys; what a good idea. My favourite is the red squirrel; on our drives out and about we do see signs warning us to drive carefully because of the red squirrels; all lies as we've yet to see one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely pictures this month. The collection of keys is amazing. We have two Valentine's day cards which we get out each year and each year I add another little drawn heart. Have 58 hearts now. Squirrel is gorgeous. We have them too, but grey not lucky like you to have a gorgeous red visit you. Love your squirrel feeder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Threads .... I thought that about kangaroos when we were in Australia - didn't see one for nearly 2 weeks lol
    and glad to hear we're not the only non Valenitners :)

    @Jak, what a lovely idea to use the same cards every year - 58 - good going :)
    We brought that feeder back from a great shop near Penrith called The Bird Bistro - locally made there out of reused plastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done Fil. I love the rock, messy beach & the old nissan hut. All things that are so like what we see out here, but then I do find abandoned buildings fascinating & am always on the lookout, so I can take photos. Your squirrel is ever so cute & glad you still have Reds about. Knots in wood are great & poor Bob, hope he recovers soon. Take care & huggles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Fil - great about the 33 years ... and then the photos - the storms have not been good - still perhaps the rubbish best on the beach, rather than out in the waters. Glad to read you're out picking up the rubbish - beach clear up seem to be more common now-a-days. I'm going to try and catch your radio programme later on ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely set of photos and stories. It will feel really satisfying to get that beach cleaned up once the weather is more stable.

    I hope Bob's wing repairs itself in time. Is there an animal rescue place you could take him too for a check up?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super choices this month
    I like the beach stone and the squirrel was so sweet.
    Poor Mr Crow, I hope he mends his wing.
    Love the jingly keys.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely stories and photos - the Anderson Shelter one interested me, I love having a poke around old buildings and finding out about their history. Glad Bob is in your garden where he is safe - wings are tricky things once broken - poor chap. thank you for joining in x

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Susan - yes there's something lovely about old rusty buildings - we saw lots of interesting ones in Australia

    @Hilary - there's a big group around here doing regular beach cleans and have offered to come to this area some Saturday - we take a bag with us whenever we're down there anyway but there's so much stuff thrown off the fishing boats apart from all the ocean debris.

    @sustainablemum -we can't get close enough to the bird to catch him - it'd be good to get him to the shelter, but he was looking a bit more active a few days back, fingers crossed it'll heal on its own.

    @Julie - thank you ... yes, the keys are fun :)

    @Kate - I'd never heard it called an Anderson Shelter before - must look into that ... yes they're great for noseying around. Thanks for running this x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the stone, I have found a couple hearts ones too. That is one plump squirrel! The knot in the tree looks like a rose, so cool!

    ReplyDelete

Do drop me a line ... I love to read your comments :)