Reading My Way Around the World

Tuesday 15 December 2015

Small Pleasures

This month has turned out to be much busier than I'd foreseen and as a result much of Kat McNally's lovely reflective writing challenge Reverb 15 has passed me by - but I thought jumping back in today rather than trying to catch up is a much less stressful approach ... Perhaps at sometime over the holidays I'll get a chance to re visit some of the other prompts  

Today's prompt 

Issue 5 of the beautiful magazine Bella Grace carries a gorgeous illustrated quote from a chap called H. Jackson Brown Jr as follows:

"Watch the sunrise at least once a year, put a lot of marshmallows in your hot chocolate, lie on your back and look at the stars, never buy a coffee table you can’t put your feet on, never pass up a chance to jump on a trampoline, don’t overlook life’s small joys while searching for the big ones."

What small pleasures gave you moments of intense joy in 2015?

What more could you cultivate in 2016?

I love this quote.

Years ago I bought one of those solar dancing flowers with the intention of giving it to someone but it never managed to find another home and sits on the window sill in my study.   And after all this time it still makes me smile every time I see it dancing.   At this time of the year it's a bit idle, but there's still a wee flurry of activity from time to time - such a simple joy.  



When we're travelling I love shopping and kid myself that the things I"m buying are really  presents for someone or other, whenever in truth I'm buying things I'd love to have myself.   Next year I promise that I'm going to start keeping more of these things:)    Because by the time I've got them home the sensible part of my head talks me in to passing them on to deserving hosts.  

On the drizzliest days of winter, it's lovely to look at something childish or silly or simply beautiful to brighten up the dark and make us smile.   

8 comments:

  1. This is just lovely Fil and I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiments!!! Definitely need to enjoy more fun in our life.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greta post
    Have a nice day :)
    http://weirdthoughts13.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely quote and so true!
    I just watched a beautiful sunset, but haven't caught a sunrise in awhile.
    Perhaps it's time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love going back to childish right now. It's the season, I think. Caring friends gave me the most joy this difficult year. And then there are the dogs, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Fil - love the dancing flower .. fun to see. Yes I often buy for others things I'd like ... but they do usually get passed on. It's difficult to avoid the things that make us laugh or smile ... and bring out the pennies.

    It's the time for others now ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do totally agree with all the words above. I just thought how grey and boring my life became. I just wanna feel something fantastic and not to become one of those who live from work to home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, what fun! I love little silly things that make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  8. For me it is seeing things in nature that give me the most intense joy - a small flock of Red Wings briefly appeared in our yew trees the other day and I was delighted to be able to watch them from the comfort of my sitting room :) This Christmas I have solved the problem of buying things I want and giving them to others by buying two wonderful things (a vintage sewing box packed with sewing items & a tray of print blocks!) and then telling my children they can give them to me as my Christmas presents!! Hooray :)

    ReplyDelete

Do drop me a line ... I love to read your comments :)