Reading My Way Around the World

Tuesday 1 December 2015

Reverb 15 Day 1 Lists and Prayers

pic taken in Sept, passing the Channel Islands

It's been ages since I've done any continuous blogging, so when I saw Kat McNally from I Saw You Dancing (I love that blog title ) hosting a reflective writing practice for December, I thought it would be a good time to step back and take stock. ... not sure how well I'll keep up but I do need to get back to journalling and looking inward at this time of the year.   All my year up until now has been constant running, and as ever I'm looking forward constantly, planning what's happening at various times next year.  So today's first prompt  from Kat:

In her seventh ever blog post, all the way back in March 2003(!), the inimitable Andrea Scher wrote: “Maybe lists are like prayers.”
 What sorts of lists do you have on the go at the moment? What do they suggest you are praying for?
My lists are nearly always about work - or more specifically, always about upcoming tours.  Next year we're heading to Australia in March, Germany in May, the UK in October and Switzerland later the same month.   And in between will be some gigs at home.   Plus a new recording.

So my lists are definitely prayers - for good well planned tours - profitable but not back breaking - with enough time off to enjoy where we are and enough energy to perform well and entertain our audiences.   I pray for audiences who get what we do and who leave the room with smiles on their faces.

And I pray for time away from the thinking about travelling to create and practice and ponder where next.

I don't need lists to remind me of all the things I need to do for my students or choirs so I suppose my lists are prayers to remind me that I'm important too and that I need to put my attention on my own practice.

Oh, and at the bottom of the current list is "make a Christmas card list!!"  I nearly forgot it was December already :)


This prompt is part of the Reverb15 reflective writing challenge. You are welcome to dive in at any time! If you’re catching up, you can check out all prompts so far in the Reverb archive.






4 comments:

  1. That's a nice idea and yes, prayers are often lists- of people to pray for, situations etc!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun to find you're Reverb-ing Fil. I imagine lists are essential when you do as much traveling as you do. And while I always love reading about your adventures, I must say my mind boggles as I read your schedule. Yes, yes, yes to being reminded you're important - put that on top of your list. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Fil - gosh you've got lots of tours on the go next year .. that's wonderful. I'm sure with all that's involved you need lots of lists and need to prepare for each tour slightly separately.

    Good luck and long may you entertain us ... happy days - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do have lots of tours on the go for next year. I would think you would need to make constant lists of what to take and where to go next.

    Only lists I make are shopping lists and Christmas Card lists.

    ReplyDelete

Do drop me a line ... I love to read your comments :)