Reading My Way Around the World

Friday 12 February 2021

Begins with W - Photo Scavenger Hunt

Joining in with Kate at I Live I Love I Craft for the now weekly photo scavenger hunt - as someone said it's good to have prompts to make us think outside the norm.   

This weeks prompt is Begins With W ... so I headed down the road of water ... I think every photo I post has that, and Wind - way too much of it and no decent photos.   But I ended up with 

Wild.  

When we were in Australia, in March 2016, we spent a day in Dubbo in NSW on our way from an Irish Festival in Tullamore (that is out in the back of nowhere - an experience and a half - Tullamore has a population of 150, it really is in the outback and when we woke on our first morning there 5000 people had descended in camper vans for a brilliant festival - such an experience - I can't believe I hadn't written about it).   

Anyway, I digress.   
Dubbo has a huge Wildlife Park and we had booked into it a few days beforehand.  


Neither of us have had the opportunity to go on a safari or see exotic wildlife in nature so this was the chance of a lovely experience.   

And for me there was only one animal to see and that was the giraffes.  

I don't know what it is about them - even looking at photos makes me well up.  

Unfortunately, I got a tummy bug and was violently ill for several days, ending up in hospital, - we had only just driven in when I started to feel bad.   

But .... I managed to get to feed the giraffes.   

OMG - I felt like a 5 year old - such a beautiful experience.  Their soft blue tongues and gentle touch - it made my heart sing.  


I don't particularly agree with zoos and wildlife parks, but watching David Attenborough last night, the final programme of his Perfect Planet series - the threat of so much extinction in the coming half century is mind boggling and at least these places, when they're well run, protect so many animals that wouldn't survive much longer.  These guys looked very happy.  

10 comments:

  1. Ooh, they are gorgeous & I've never been that close. We've been to Dubbo zoo too, but a long time ago with the Morris Minor Touring Club for an outback adventure. Pity you took ill & next time in Oz (maybe) we can take you to a couple of great places to see our own wildlife. Take care, stay safe &hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are so beautiful! I think Giraffes and zebras would be my top animals to see- their markings are so beautiful! I'd love to feed one!x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree. I don't agree with zoos but at least they protect the animals

    Julie xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too like giraffes; such a pity you were ill. Amazing that 5000 people turned up to such a small town. Must have been an amazing sight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zoos, as they were, and those that seem to have fallen through the net, definitely deserved their poor reputation but these days they are an amazing well pool for saving failing species. Some animals would not be here if it wasn't for some incredibly dedicated people - how lovely to be able to reach out and feed the giraffe - something that I have never been lucky enough to do xxx a very good Word for W - Wild xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lovely to have been able to be that close to a giraffe. We did at Klapmuts Zoo in Capetown when Kate was about 5. The closest we got to one in the wild was in the Kruger National Park with Kate and Himself and were looking at a leguaan (monitor lizard) scurry into long grass right next to the road when we realised we were looking under a giraffe's stomach, through his legs. He was so big and we were watching the road verge that we had not even noticed him in the bushes. Something I will never forget. Sorry you were ill. Serious tummy bug is not nice. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love giraffes too and could watch them for ages ... they are so graceful 😃

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you got to feed the giraffes in spite of being so ill. To have them so close must have been an amazing experience and you got some great photos to remember it by :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Fil - so sorry you were ill out there - especially in a special place for you ... and how wonderful you were able to feed and get near the giraffes. I've seen a lot of them ... but not fed them - or got up close and personal! Excellent 'W' for Wild. Hope it's not too cold for you ... we're warming I'm glad to say - all the best - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Wow, lucky you! I'm so glad you were able to feed them before you got sick. They really are beautiful and very unique!

    ReplyDelete

Do drop me a line ... I love to read your comments :)