Reading My Way Around the World

Monday 1 May 2017

Blessings of Bealtaine - Beannacht Libh


Bealtaine is the 2nd major festival of the Celtic Calendar marking the start of Summer, although here it's actually colder now than it was at Christmas.
I've written more extensively about the mythology here (The May Morning Dew) and here (Bealtaine).

Today I just wanted to send you blessings and joy of the season.   Beannacht Libh (blessings on you, literally in Irish).

The primroses and bluebells are splendid and Spring has been a joy to watch and all feels well with the world when you turn off the television and the news.

My blogging friend Denise at Temenos of the Blessing Light often talks about joy and blessings and in her recent series for the AtoZ challenge I was struck by one of the words she featured - Benison - an old word for blessings.   Her blogs are a joy to read - so today I'm sending you benisons, blessings, benediction, beannachtaí.

And a song for the day that's in it.  This is heart wrenching - Isla Cameron singing One Morning in May from the film Far from the Madding Crowd.

3 comments:

  1. Blessings of Beltane be upon you, Fil :) My Beltane Baby (NO. 1 son) was running his first half-marathon yesterday but luckily no jumping through the flames and into the new season - although he celebrated his birthday with a BBQ!
    Special Teaching at Pempi’s Palace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Fil - what a lovely rendering of the song - as you say clear as crystal ... all the best to you for the coming year - cheers Hilary

    http://positiveletters.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/we-are-world-in-darkness-be-light-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beannacht Libh! Thank you for the kind words Fil. The carpeting of flowers makes me swoon with delight. So much magic all around us.

    ReplyDelete

Do drop me a line ... I love to read your comments :)