Reading My Way Around the World

Saturday 9 December 2017

Christmas Toy Sack - Julie's Virtual Advent Calendar Day 9

One of my favourite things to do when we're travelling is to have an hour to go in to local charity shops.   I spotted this sack in the corner of the Sue Ryder Shop in Jedburgh.

There's something about the treasures you find in charity shops - a bit of glass, or pottery, or clothes that are much more interesting than anything in the huge shopping centres which just drive me nuts at this time of year with Christmas music blaring out incessantly.   Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas music, but not for 2 months solid ... The child in me deep down expects Santa to arrive that night, every time I visit the shopping centre!!


I'm joining in this month with  Julie's Advent Scavenger Hunt - a post a day (more or less) from now until the 24th.
You can check in here for the details of the prompts and the list of who else is playing and to join in yourself if you fancy playing along.

8 comments:

  1. Many of my Christmas baubles come from the CS or from the sales in January.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always the randomness of charity shops...you never know what might catch your eye. Most of my home has come to me via this route or freecycle!
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree about the incessant trite music and ever increasingly early push for Christmas jollies and the need to spend spend spend. I do however enjoy the potluck charm of charity shop shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too get fed up with Christmas music for two months, cannot imagine what it is like for the people who work in the shops who have to listen to it daily

    Julie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's really nice, dear Fil, I also visit some charity shops in some cities, and you are soooo right - Christmas music for solid 2 months, are my Lord, enough. Charity shops have sweet books, some ornaments that I really love seeing! Loved this toy sack! Hugs and a nice Sunday!
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some of our local charity shops have joined in with the Christmas music this year, so I fear there will be no respite soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree- there is something about a charity shop that makes things much nicer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very rustic sack & I also detest shopping at this time of year & think it spoils the spirit of Christmas. Remember as a child, there not being much until about 2 or maybe 3 weeks before the day. I somehow missed this post, so have commented on 2 today.

    ReplyDelete

Do drop me a line ... I love to read your comments :)